Mall Transit Station Conceptual Design
About the Project:
The Town is developing conceptual designs for an improved transit station in the Snowmass Mall that serves both RFTA and Village Shuttle riders from one convenient location. The concepts will include several features and amenities that will benefit the guest and rider experience including: improved transit station waiting areas, public restrooms, replacement parking, a driver’s breakroom, pedestrian walkways, and escalators and/or elevators.
This project is not a new idea. The concept of improving the transit Mall Transit Station was identified as a necessary capital improvement for the community as far back as the 1980’s. A lot of the same problems persist today.
Why Do We Need a New Transit Station?
While both the Village Shuttle and RFTA services are currently operating out of two separate locations, there are many opportunities to improve the experience and efficiency of these services by creating a single transit station:
- Better Access to/from the Mall:
A high priority for this project is to improve the transit connections to the Snowmass Mall. A reconfiguration of the transit stations would allow for transit users, lodge shuttles, taxis, deliveries, skiers, shoppers, employees, and guests to better access the mall. This is currently being contemplated by alleviating the elevation gain to the mall through improved grading, pedestrian escalators / elevators, and improved drop off locations.
- Improved Guest Arrival Experience:
The mall transit station is a crucial part of the guest experience in Snowmass Village. In many cases, it is the first impression our guests have of the Village. By consolidating and upgrading the current transit facilities, the Town hopes to make the arrival experience fit the expectations for our world class resort. The contemplated consolidation will also eliminate confusion of the two bus stops being in different locations and make it much easier to use the appropriate transit services.
After collect feedback from the community, mall merchants, and the Town Council, the design team has published an updated design for the Snowmass Mall Transit Station. View the complete presentation below:
Conceptual Project Renderings:
The Town is currently in the design phase of this project. If the community and Town Council elects to move forward with this project, it will still need to go through final designing and land use review stages. This includes a formal public hearing review by both the Town Council and Planning Commission. Designs won't be finalized until late 2020, and the project would still need to secure financing and go through a formal review process. If approved, construction wouldn't likely begin until sometime in 2022. Below is a rough outline of the project timeline and steps taken to date:
- Winter 2018/2019 - Information Gathering and Needs Assessment with RFTA
- Spring 2019 - Conceptual Designs & Feedback Gathering
- Spring / Summer 2019 - Feedback Gathering from Community, Business Owners, and Town Council
- Summer, 2019 - Revisions to Conceptual Designs, based on Feedback
- Fall, 2019 - New Conceptual Designs Reviewed by Town Council
- Winter 2019 - 2020 - Conceptual Design #5 Created
- Spring, 2020 - Option #5 Approved by Town Council
- Fall, 2020 - Grant Awarded for Design Costs
- Winter, 2020 - Design Firm Selected to Develop Final Design Documents
- 2021 - Finalize Design and Engineering Plans
- 2021 - Community Feedback Gathering
- 2021 - Town Council Approval
- 2021 / 2022 - Land Use Review by Planning Commission and Town Council
Do you like what you see? Do you have some suggestions for improvement? We want to hear from you!
- Send your suggestions directly by email.
Vote for the project, make comments, and leave feedback on the community voice page by following the link below:
Note: You will have to create a free tosv.com user account and sign in to participate on the Community Voice forum. This allows us to prevent abuse and fraudulent votes.
Next Steps & Important Dates:
Stay tuned for additional meetings and opportunities to provide feedback on this project.
- Presentation of Construction Drawings to Town Council